Updates from Penetang
The container has arrived safely in Kitonga Village and the contents were distributed by Christine and Josie in December 2008, before they returned to Canada.
Heart to Heart Africa is still alive and kicking in Penetang! Since the shipping of the container in August, the committee in Penetang has been hard at work with fundraising and collection efforts.
- Mikael Foote had a birthday and raised over $500.00. He presented it to Christine at the gala in Niagara Falls.
- A few days before leaving for Kitonga, Christine did a presentation at Monsignor Castex, Midland (Michelle Foote’s school) where a donation of $100 was given and several CD’s were purchased.
- She also went to Bayview Public School (Mikael Foote’s school), where a grade 7 student gave a personal donation of $100.00.
- St. Ann’s Penetang (Leslie Nimeth’s and Josie Kvas’ school) and Monsignor Castex Midland sold candy-cane-o-grams and raised close to $400.00.
- The Foote family had their annual Christmas party on December 19th, collecting donations of shoes, school supplies, small toys, and clothing.
- Lisa O’Driscoll held a donation-based yoga class, where donations totaling more than $400.00 were collected for Heart to Heart.
- On the 7th, the Foote family opened their house once again to host an African jewelry/craft party, where ladies gathered for good conversation, drinks, and food while Chris displayed her collection of unique African pieces. At this event, another $900.00 was collected.
- On the 8th, Brendan Moore, a grade 6 student at St. Ann’s, had a birthday party and raised $140.00.
- Valentine-o-grams were sold at St. Ann’s and Monsignor Castex, where a total of $125.00 was collected.
- A Valentine’s dance at St. Ann’s brought in another $75.00 for Heart to Heart!
- Clothing is being collected from the lost and found at the following locations: St. Ann’s Catholic School, Monsignor Castex Catholic School, Burkevale Separate School, Bayview Public School, Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic School, Penetang Arena, Mountainview Ski Resort.
- Books, teacher resources, and school supplies are being collected from families and schools in the area.
- Josie Kvas has visited Bayview Public School, Monsignor Castex Catholic School, and St. Ann’s Catholic School, to share her experiences with pictures and memorabilia from Africa.
- Students at St. Ann’s and Monsignor Castex have connected with the children of Kitonga Village through pen pal letters.
- Michelle and Mikael Foote will be accompanying Christine on her next trip to Africa, on July 20, 2009 for five weeks. They are really looking forward to working in the village of Kitonga and meeting the people they’ve heard so much about.
- Buchans Ladies Sewing Club (Newfoundland) is in the process of making book bags
African Jewelry Party - February 07th, 2009
1. Fund raising around a table with the african jewelry on display.
2. Everybody gathered to schmooze and fund raise - look at all the goodies.
Images © 2007 - 2013 by Heart To Heart Africa - reproduction by permission only.